Reporting directly to the CTO, you will be responsible for creating clean, well-structured, back-end code within a Ruby on Rails environment and for helping architect enhancements to our increasingly sophisticated and data-rich technology platform. As a senior member of OMX's development team, you'll have an exceptional degree of autonomy as you help us reinvent complex supply chain procurement for the 21st century. This is an excellent opportunity for someone passionate about designing and writing cutting-edge code within a well-funded start-up environment.
OMX is a collaborative platform for accessing procurement opportunities and analyzing the economic impact of organizations in complex global supply chains. Our goal is to encourage the growth of small technology and manufacturing companies, in part by leveraging the obligations of large defence manufacturers to government.
Why join OMX?
- We're solving a big, complex, technology problem that no one else is tackling. Your brain will probably hurt, but mostly in a good way.
- We're a small, focused company that likes being small and focused. There's no deadwood here. No office politics. Just a core group of people who love their jobs.
- Although we work in government procurement, which is primarily defence and aerospace, we're not a defence contractor and we don't deal in munitions.
- Our coffee maker dispenses lattes, we open the bar on Friday afternoons, and our open concept office off Queen West is sometimes occupied by dogs and yoga.
What you'll need
- Ruby on Rails / PostgreSQL
- Experience with Sphinx or other full-featured search technologies
- Sound knowledge of object-oriented methodology
- Strong familiarity with principles of database design and architecture
- Some experience administering a remote Linux server
- Some familiarity with Agile and waterfall software processes
- GitHub or other source code management technologies
What we'd also love to see
- Extremely comfortable with usability principles and web standards
- Bootstrap 2 & 3
- Responsive web development experience, particularly as a solution for tablet and mobile UI
- Familiarity with OWASP and/or other web security practices
- Jira, BugZilla or other incident management software
Your ideal background
- Minimum three years in a professional web-based application development capacity (mobile development is an additional bonus)
- A portfolio of relevant software development projects
- Exposure to development methodologies and best practices applicable to web or mobile development projects
- Degree in computer science or comparable formal education
- Visible participation in the Toronto development community (e.g. conference speaking engagements, development blog, etc.)
Local and commuter candidates only, please. No phone calls, faxes or drop-ins. Direct applicants only; no recruiters are being retained by OMX at this time.